The goal of equine veterinary extension is to establish educational programs which serve the needs of the equine industry in Florida and promote the health and welfare of the horse. Equine veterinary extension serves as a liaison between the University of Florida’s veterinary community, the horse industry in Florida, horse owners, and county extension faculty. Equine veterinary extension also encompasses consulting about equine health and disease, teaching the University of Florida’s veterinary and pre-veterinary students, and promoting, performing, and disseminating information on equine research. Dr. Amanda House is the faculty coordinator for these programs.
Highlights of Equine Extension
- Healthy Horses Conference: April 27, 2013. Register NOW!
- Winter tips for keeping your horse healthy
- Spring 2012 Equine Ledger
- Equine Health Care Articles
- Fall 2011 Equine Ledger
- NEW! EHV-1 Update from UF LAH 6-24-11
- EHV-1 Update from UF LAH 6-24-11
- NEW! Large Animal Hospital Newsletter for DVMs Spring 2011
- Spring 2011 Equine Ledger Newsletter
- Fall 2010 RDVM Large Animal Hospital Newsletter
Dr. Amanda House serves as the liaison between the College of Veterinary Medicine and the horse industry, horse owners, veterinarians, and county faculty in Florida. She provides educational programs and consults on equine health and disease, teaches the University of Florida’s veterinary and pre-veterinary students, promotes and disseminates information on equine research, and spends some time working in the hospital on the large animal medicine service. Dr. House coordinates an annual conference for horse owners on equine health in the spring at the University of Florida (Healthy Horses Conference). Her professional interests include neonatology, infectious disease, and camelid medicine. Dr. House serves on the board of directors of the Florida Association of Equine Practitioners, the horse owner education committee of the American Association of Equine Practitioners and the communications and credentials committees of the American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine.
Dr. House provides educational programs on various equine health topics including strangles, management and prevention of infectious disease, colic, diarrhea, vaccination and parasite control programs, foal care and equine emergencies just to name a few. Equine health care articles can be found under publications and related information links.
Upcoming Educational Events and Seminars
- October 11-14, 2012 in Naples Fla.: FAEP/FVMA Promoting Excellence Symposium at Naples Grande Beach Resort
- November 8-10, 2012 in Savannah, Ga.: North American Veterinary Regenerative Medicine Association (NAVRMA)
- November 16-19, 2012 in Ocala, Fla.: FAEP/FVMA Ocala Equine Conference
- Health Care Articles
- Resources for Veterinarians
- UF Large Animal Hospital
- Hurricane Preparation
- Educational programs
- Events and conferences
- Contact Us
Equine Web Presentations
- Horse Farm Weed Control and Herbicide Labels
- Care and Management of Older Horses
- Equine Colic
- Gastric Ulcer Endoscopy Demonstration
- Treating Equine Laminitis
- Confusion about Carbohydrates
- Webinars on TheHorse.com