Presentations & Events
- Corn Silage and Forage Field Day in Tifton, GA: Thursday, June 18, 2015, 7:30 am. Program updates and more information.
UGA/UFL Financial and Management Decision-Aids Workshops. The Universities of Georgia and Florida Extension Services have created three new printed and electronic dairy budgets for dairy producers using conventional, grazing, or hybrid production systems. These budgets can be used to calculate “what if” scenarios if there are ways you might be planning to change your farm. These two universities will also be releasing several stand-alone decision-aids. To help show dairy producers and managers how to utilize these free Excel budgets and decision-aids to make better financial and management decisions for their operations, several workshops will be held in late January and February. You are also welcome if you just want to compare these budgets. They are based on inputs from local dairy farms.
The workshops are free but pre-registration is highly desired to plan for meal and laptop usage. When registering please indicate whether you will be bringing your own laptop or would like for us to provide you one. All sessions run 10:00 am until 2:00 pm. Please contact Dr. Curt Lacy (email@example.com) or Dr. Mary Sowerby (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Wednesday, January 28, Suwannee County Extension Office, 1302 11th Street SW, Live Oak, FL 32064, (386) 362-2771
- Thursday, January 29, Brooks County Extension Office (also for those in North FL closer to Quitman), 400 East Courtland Ave., Agri Building, Moultrie Hwy 33, Quitman, GA 31643, (229) 263-4103
- Friday, January 30, Jackson County Extension Office, 2741 Pennsylvania Avenue, Suite 3, Marianna, FL 32448, (850) 482-9620
- Thursday, February 12, Okeechobee County Extension Office, 458 U.S. Hwy 98, Okeechobee, FL 34972, (863) 763-6469
- UF/IFAS Dairy Science Update, February 21, 2014, 9:30 am at Okeechobee County Extension Office.
- UF North Florida Dairy Update, February 26, 2014, 9:30 am to 1:30 pm at Hatch Park Community Center, Branford, FL.
- 8th Annual Dr. Harvey Rubin Memorial Food Animal Veterinary Medical Conference, March 14-15, 2015, in Kissimmee, FL. See schedule here.
- Florida Dairy Production Conference, April 29, 2015 at the Straughn IFAS Extension Professional Development Center in Gainesville, FL. For proceedings click here.
- South Georgia/North Florida Dairy Update meeting in Quitman, GA: May, 19, 2015, from 11 am to 1 pm with Dr. Emily Miller-Cushon speaking on How feeding habits affect growth and welfare of dairy calves. Email your reservation by Friday, May 15.
- A Dairy, Corn and Soybean Markets Update in Bell, FL: Tuesday, June 2, 2015, 7:00 pm with Dr. John VanSickle.
- Twilight Dairy Farm Tour in Trenton, FL: Tuesday, June 9, 2015, at 7:00 pm.
- Small Farms Dairy Conference: June 19-20, 2014 in Citra, FL
- 2014 Florida Dairy Business Conference: August 6, 2014
- Calving and Newborn Management: August 21, 2014 10:00 am – 2:30 pm. You may view the Power Point slides of this lecture in English and Spanish as well as the slides on colostrum in English and Spanish.
- S. Georgia/N. Florida English/Spanish Dairy Milker Workshop: August 19 & 20, 2014
- Dairy Educational Demonstraton Schedule at the Sunbelt Ag Expo October 14-16, 2014, in Moultrie, GA.
- Family Day at the Dairy Farm: Saturday, October 25, 2014, 9 am – 2 pm. Watch the video here. Visit the Website and the Facebook page.
- Calf Birth to Weaning Workshop – University of Florida Dairy Unit, Gainesville, FL, Thursday, October 30, 2014. View slides here.
- Dairy Cattle Reproduction Council 2014 Annual Meeting, Salt Lake City, Utah, Nov. 13-14, 2014 with Dr. Klibs Galvao, UF, speaking on Epidemiology of Pregnancy Losses and Practical Strategies for Prevention. View the proceedings and Power Point presentation.
- 10th Mid-Atlantic Dairy Grazing Conference in Moultrie, GA hosted by UGA Extension: November 12-13, 2014. Contact Mary Sowerby at email@example.com.
South Georgia/North Florida Dairy Update meeting in Quitman, GA: Thursday, November 20, 2014 from 11 am to 1 pm with John Bernard, UGA speaking on Successfully Raising Heifers. Contact Mary Sowerby at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Dairy Genomics Workshop, for dairy producers and allied industry at the Okeechobee Extension Office on Wednesday, December 10, 2014 from 10 AM to 2 PM. Lunch is served. Contact Courtney Davis, email@example.com, or Albert De Vries, firstname.lastname@example.org, for more information.